The numbers of deaf children steadily increased, leading to the beginnings of a Deaf community in NSW.
A report in 1862 showed that there were over 50 deaf children in Sydney alone, and numbers grew in the second half of the nineteenth Century.
Thomas Pattison’s school became the NSW Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind. This period saw the rise of leaders in the community such as Fletcher Booth, and allies of the Community such as Samuel Watson, the Superintendent of the Institution. A national Deaf Community began to develop through interstate contacts and travel.