Holiday house in Newcastle
James Laskie Holiday Home at Belmont near Newcastle was built by the Society to provide a holiday house for deaf people, and opened in early 1953. It was very popular with deaf people until it was sold in 1958.
Deaf General Committee
The Society’s Board helped to re-establish the Deaf General Committee.
The Deaf General Committee had begun as the ‘Deaf Mute Committee’ in 1916, and changed its name to the ‘General Committee’ (1924) and then the ‘Deaf General Committee’ (1928). The Deaf General Committee was dissolved in 1938, re-formed in 1945, then lapsed in 1948 for several years until resurrected in 1953. It ran for another 31 years until 1986.